Friday, January 8, 2010

Not Everything is Serious


A silly dog in town has befriended my walking partner and me. It is a stray and we have no idea where it spends the night. My friend remembers it as an excitable, hyperactive puppy. It still is very excitable and on some days, when we are out walking, we cringe when we hear the whining, not quite a barking sound, because it has found us. The dog then comes bounding up, jumping up and down, excited and happy, but with a totally irritating, high-pitched bark that makes every head in the vicinity turn towards us! I have given him the name Glupo, meaning silly.
Glupo walks along with us and when it spots another dog; there are many stray dogs, he starts off his funny barking, trying to chase the other dogs away – the cheek! This drowns out any conversation and all our shooing and even throwing pebbles at him doesn’t chase him away. Acquaintances’ aren’t convinced that we have never fed him. On the days that he has followed us out on the trail, he is quiet and stays close to us, but in town he is a real nuisance.
One day on trail he was so scared, he walked so close to my heels that his nose bumped into me many times! One could say this is a good example of “worming your way into someone’s affection”. Another day, he was chased off my street with another friend’s dog that I didn’t see him for 5 days. Unfortunately, he has built up his courage and is back again. Ce la vie!

No comments: