Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Roller Coaster

Here I was, bursting with delight when the staging material arrived. The hours spent pouring over the documents to make sure that after one and one-half years of waiting for this day, it was finally around the corner.  Wait, there a little more to this story.

Macedonia has a mountainous terrain and just when I thought I rounded the last bend to my destination, I was had to endure another.  It was my good fortune (in hindsight, of course) that I tore my left knee meniscus (during strength training????)  a couple weeks before leaving for staging.  If it had happened a few weeks/months into my assignment, I would have been medevaced(?) and never come back glowing with accomplishment.

My doctor recommended arthroscopic surgery immediately before I left on assignment. In his experience due to my physically fit condition I would heal rapidly without needing a crutch and be ready to board a plane in 3 days.  The whole office shifted in high gear on Tuesday to run me through pre-op tests, labs, etc and got me ready for surgery on Wednesday, Sept 24, 2008.  I was given a whole lot of exercises to perform and the doctor gave me the go ahead to leave on Friday, Sept 26 for Philadelphia, my staging city.

Imagine my disappointment that I was immediately put on medical hold by the Peace Corps Medical Office. They were to make their decision long distance and needed time to review my surgery related medical files.  I bid a tearful farewell to my new friends (hope to see you all in a few years) the first evening of my first day of staging event and returned home to wait this out.  

I am writing today because all medical documents are now in Washington, after my last follow-up visit Jan 20, 2009.  Everything works in slow gear when you are in a hurry.   There's something magical about this date in our history and I have high hopes that in a small way this will allow me to make history in my personal life. I am afterall leaving behind my husband and four children (one a freshman in college and the other three just a couple years past their undergraduate studies - the age of most of my new PC colleagues).

 


No comments: